Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Old Strobes - New Strobes

I've mentioned Strobist.com in my previous posts - that's because I absolutelly love that site. Its creator and owner, David Hobby, operates under the moto 'LESS GEAR. MORE BRAIN. BETTER LIGHT.' Unlike Ken Rockwell, David gives out advice that is applicable to a wide range of other people (not just him) and encourages his readers to spend less money on photography. I think this is really unique - most other photogs out there use their blogs to brag about their kit; David shows people how using your brain(!!), few bits of paper, elastic bands and old flashes can dramatically improve your pictures.

Therefore, when I was in the market for a flash I safely ignored Rockwell's praise for the tiny SB-400 and spent less on a much more versatile SB-26 (second hand on eBay). It goes without saying that I would love to have a bank of SB-800s. However, being able to go through a big part of my learning curve for a fraction of the cost is really cool. Do not believe Ken Rockwell when he says that: "Other flash features [other than those present on the SB-400] are gimmicks that get in the way of taking pictures." He could not be more wrong in my opinion! A flash that can only be turned ON/OFF is severely limiting to the photographer (me, you). Don't be fooled by simplicity - it is a double-edged sword.

Another website that I found really useful is the photography page on MIR (Malaysian Internet Resource). They list a lot of really useful information about components of the Nikon system including my 1980s Nikon SB-26. Thereby they are making shopping for old stuff on eBay a lot easier.

Thank you guys.

No comments: