Saturday, January 05, 2008

Powerty Wizards

I have started experimenting with small-flash off-camera lighting late last year. For this, I am getting loads of ideas from Strobist.Com.

My 'Poverty Wizards' have just arrived from Hong Kong yesterday. Until this point in time, I have been using the built-in flash of my D40 to trigger old Nikon SB-27 flashes via their optical slave function. While this allowed me to add off-camera flashes to my picture taking at no cost - 'Powerty Wizards' from Gadget Infinity will allow me to take things a step further yet.

I decided to take (what I considered) a risk of not ordering the triggers from Kenro UK, instead going closer to the source and ordering directly from Gadget Infinity. It was cheap as chips, a set of one transmitter and two receivers cost circa GBP 30, compared to more than double that for an identical product branded/marketed by Kenro here in the UK. The delivery from HK took about 3 weeks (over Christmas) and since the package was labelled 'Gift' - there were no customs payments to be covered.

I picked the 16-channel triggers without a hot-shoe mount. Now, I need to get some
sync cables from Flash Zebra and batteries. I will post my experience here.

This is one of the first pictures I took with an off-camera flash. It's my longest friend Standa and his dog David Lyster:
Three dodos.

No comments: